Polokwane in Limpopo

Polokwane

History of Polokwane in the 1840s: The Voortrekkers, under the leadership of Andries Potgieter, established Zoutpansbergdorp, a town 100 km to the south-east.

This settlement had to be abandoned because of clashes with the local tribes. They founded a new town in 1886 and named it Pietersburg in honour of Voortrekker leader Petrus Jacobus Joubert.

The British built a concentration camp here during the Anglo-Boer War to house almost 4.000 Boer women and children. The town became a city on 23 April 1992 and on the 11 June 2003 changed its name to Polokwane Attractions Hunting - Pietersburg is considered the premier hunting destination in South Africa.

Eersteling Monuments - The site of the country's first gold crushing site and its first gold power plant are marked by monuments. Open-Air Museum - This museum depicts the traditional and modern-day culture and lifestyle of the Bakone people.

Other attractions include: 

The Bakone Malapa Northern Sotho Open-Air Museum, which depicts the traditional and modern-day lifestyle of this people. The Pietersburg Game Reserve, which has more than 21 species and offers scenic walks. 

The Savannah Centre, a modern shopping centre. Several 2010 World Cup matches were played at the Peter Mokaba Stadium.

Sources: www.polokwane.org.za