List your business
Tourism Grading Council of South Africa is the only body responsible for quality assuring accommodation and MESE (Meetings, Exhibitions and Special Events) experiences in South Africa by establishing a recognisable, credible and globally benchmarked system of quality assurance that can be relied on by visitors when choosing an establishment. Star insignia bearing the colours of the national flag represent quality assurance offerings from 1 star to 5 stars.
Grading insures the maintenance of high quality standards and service excellence. Star graded establishments assist in insuring that South Africa becomes one of the top sort after destinations globally and also give the visitor surety in knowing what to expect when choosing a star graded establishment so as to get value for their money.
Benefits of grading:
- Basket of Benefits (BOB) - This is a free tailor-made service to suit the needs of the hospitality industry and ensure that your establishment benefits by saving a great deal of time and money when procuring goods or seeking advice.
- Short Left deals dashboard - This is a platform where graded properties can upload their deals to market their offerings.
- Speed Marketing - Speed Marketing creates a platform where new and existing products in the tourism industry get exposure to local and international Tour Operators in building a quality visitor experience. The property is allocated 5 minutes to sell their product and in turn the tour operator gains knowledge on that particular product and is then better suited to sell and advertise it.
- Welcome Toolkit - Welcome is a South African Tourism initiative that aims to create and sustain engagement with industry stakeholders, and encourage information sharing. Offerings such as market and research insights, culinary requirement books and videos, information on tourists etc are available on this platform.
- SA Specialist - SA Specialist is an interactive online learning programme that will improve your knowledge of South Africa.
- Lilizela Awards - A promise of excellence, unparalleled service and exceptional quality, the Lilizela Tourism Awards aim to showcase to the South African public only the absolute best the country’s travel and tourism industry has to offer. The awards are identified as the highest honour in tourism.
- Tourism Incentive Programme - Up to 90% of grading fees can be sponsored for new and renewing properties as follows:
- TGCSA in partnership with NDT (National Department of Tourism) are the administrators of the the funding sponsored by NDT. Properties can qualify for an 80% discount on their grading fee by meeting the necessary requirements.
- If the property is a TOMSA (Tourism Levy South Africa) levy contributor then the property will automatically qualify for a further 10% discount on their grading fee.
- Online Reviews - Tourism Grading Council of South Africa has commissioned and is utilizing TAP (Tourism Analytics Programme) for the Aggregation of Online Guest Reviews. Thus information on the performance of a product is gathered alongside TGCSA feedback systems in order to assist the property in bettering their service and offerings or acknowledging that they are providing excellent service.
What is TOMSA levy – Destination Marketing Fund?
The tourism levy, also known as the TOMSA levy, is the 1% levy charged to the consumer for the use of specific tourism services in South Africa. The funds collected are primarily used by South African Tourism to promote South Africa as a preferred travel and tourism destination.
SA Tourism (SAT) is the official marketing agency for destination South Africa. Its core business is to drive tourists into South Africa as well as galvanise local South Africans to explore their very own Msanzi. With additional support and funding from the industry’s private sector, SAT’s marketing reach can be expanded to open more doors for your tourism business, as well as to reach new markets and opportunities.
TOMSA Tutorial https://youtu.be/9fatvxPjoDE
How to become a TOMSA Levy Contributor?
- Download the TOMSA Agreement here & return a signed copy (initialled on every page) to firstname.lastname@example.org OR fill in the TOMSA Agreement online
- Once your application has been approved and registered, you can begin adjusting your pricing and accounting system to accommodate the collection of the levy. We will send you a signed copy of the agreement, the TOMSA code of conduct, and the TOMSA welcome letter. Remember to update your finance, marketing and frontline staff about TOMSA.
- And you're off… Levy collection begins! Remember to submit proof of monthly payments to email@example.com
- Receive 3% score in terms of the B-BBEE Tourism Score card
- Free advertising of your deals on the TOMSA website home page and social media pages
- Discounted rates for exhibiting at Meetings Africa and Africa’s Travel Indaba
- Receive 10% discounts on tourism grading fees
- The platform to promote your products and services through the various SAT online platforms
- Exposure to SAT marketing, training & other relevant information ahead of accredited international & local tourism events/trade shows.
- Receive bi-annual update on industry performance, through the TBCSA Tourism Business Index
- Receive exclusive updates, weekly reports, information summaries, alerts and relevant information related to tourism safety and security matters through the TBCSA Tourism Safety Initiative
- Share your expertise and experience on destination marketing through various industry channels afforded to TOMSA levy contributors
- Receive an opportunity to be elected as a TOMSA board member
- Preference in profiling your business in domestic tourism campaigns
- Invitations to attend industry networking events
Ms Boitumelo Moleleki
Member Relations Manager
Tourism Business Council of South Africa
Tel: 012 664 0120
Cell: 084 952 4078